Saturday, April 14, 2007
THE CHURCH OF CHRIST THE KING
The Church of Christ the King is on Gordon Square, Bloomsbury, London. The church is Neo-Gothic in style and cruciform in plan, it was designed by Raphael Brandon in 1853 for the Victorian sect of the Catholic Apostolic Church (known as the Irvingites). It is built of Bath Stone, with a tiled roof. The structure is incomplete, lacking 2 bays on its liturgical west side (which prevented the construction of a planned façade - the west end remains unfinished, in brick apart from entrance in stone) and (like the Abbey) a crossing tower (including a 150 ft spire - the tower base that was built has mostly blind arcading). Its cruciform plan (Westminster Abbey in miniature) is made up of a nave with full triforium and clerestory, side aisles, and a sanctuary and Lady Chapel. All of the church's exterior corners have octagonal corner turrets with gabled niches and terminating in spires with gablets.